Last week I was lucky enough to go on a holiday to the south coast, and I had a fantastic time, but I did struggle when it came time to eat-out, as finding a place to eat that sold something that wasn’t covered in batter, or deep-fried in hydrogenated vegetable oil proved quite difficult.
Here in the Berra we are very lucky, as there are more and more food establishments with a whole-food focus opening up around the place. I figure there are probably places at the South Coast, but I just didn’t know how to find them. So that got me thinking …… I would like to get together a list of whole-food eating establishments around the world…. yes – the world. I decided it’s best to get a list that covers the entire globe so that when I am off travelling the world, as I am sure to do, I can easily locate wholesome eating establishments, that way I will be able to pack more clothes and less food 🙂
So I’ve started putting together a list, but I would like to keep adding to this list FOREVER….. So, can I ask you to please add your favourite places from around the globe in the section below?
First I thought I would list out a few of my faves for you to check out, and then after that, is the list. The list is already quite long, seriously, this is going to be the longest whole-food-eating-establishments list EVER. (Unless you are really bored and hard-up for things to do, I wouldn’t suggest reading this already-massive-and-soon-to-be-even-massiver list from start to finish, you can just do a page search and hopefully find the location you are looking for).
Maple + Clove – Realm Park, 7 Burbury Close, Barton
Open Mon – Fri 7am – 3pm and Sat – Sun 7.30am – 3pm
I love this place, and that has a lot to do with the fact that I am happy to eat everything on the menu. And basically that means I am happy to eat their sweet options because, in addition to serving locally sourced whole-foods, they also have a refined-sugar free menu. Yay. They also have lots of vegetarian and gluten-free options.
Food Co-op cafe – 3 Kingsley Street, Canberra City
Open weekdays for breakfast 8am – 11am and lunch 12pm – 2pm
100% organic, always Vegan and usually gluten-free. Always super, super cheap – lunches are a flat rate of $6 for non-members or $5 if you are a member. They keep their prices down (and reduce waste) by providing one lunch option each day, and you wash your own dishes. You can also pop in next door to the co-op shop where they stock a bunch of organic produce, the majority of which is naked (as in no packaging), once again to reduce waste.
My rainbow dreams cafe – Dickson Place, Dickson
Open Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri 8.30am – 5.30pm and Tues, Sat and Sun 8.30am – 4pm
Vegetarian cafe with gluten-free options, owned and operated by students of Sri Chimnoy who was an Indian meditation teacher, their ethos is to “serve food that is nourishing to both the body and soul…”.
As Nature Intended – Belconnen Markets
Open Tues 11am – 4pm and Wed – Sun 8.30am – 6pm
Organic, vegetarian and gluten-free options. The cafe sits inside the organic grocery store which has a comprehensive stock of organic fruit, vegetables, groceries and beauty products. This is a great place to take the kids as there is plenty of room outside for them to run around and even little boxes of toys and books for them to play with.
Sweet bones Bakery – 8/18 Londsdale Street, entry via Eloura Street
Open Monday – Saturday 7.30am – 4pm and Sunday 8.30am – 3pm
These guys sell all organic, vegan deliciousess with lots of gluten-free options, their coffee is organic fair-trade is roasted locally. They have multiple menus you can choose from – all day breakfast, light meals, burgers and salads, south of the border, smoothies and juices, and of course their famous baked goods.
Red Brick Espresso – Shop 4/35 Curtin place, Curtin shops, Curtin
Open Mon – Fri 7.30am – 4.30pm, Sat 7.30am – 4pm, Sun 8am -2pm
These guys are coffee roasters who sell seasonal coffee. They are coffee experts, which you will experience when you taste their coffee. They also have a fabulous whole-food menu with vegetarian and gluten-free options.
Mrs Sackville – 21 Eastlake Parade, Kingston
Open Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday 9.30am – 3pm
From Mrs Sackville’s menu “Mrs Sackville believes strongly that contented animals, able to indulge in their natural behaviours, provide us with better quality products….” All animal products sold are free-range, organic, or biodynamic. Her bacon is also free of preservatives and she has gluten-free and vegetarian options available.
And here we go with the list….
The Greatest Ever List of Whole-food Eating Establishments From Around the World.
- A Bite to Eat – Shop 8 Eggleston Crescent, Chifley Free range and organic products are used where possible, plus they make all their cakes daily on site. Lots of Gluten-free and vegetarian options.
- As Nature Intended – Belconnen Markets Organic whole-foods with vegetarian and gluten-free options
- Autolyse and – 5/21 Lonsdale Street, Braddon. They hand make sourdough and pastries without any preservatives. They also have a menu of lovely whole-foods with vegetarian and and gluten-free options. They also have a cold-pressed juice bar at 2/21 Lonsdale Street Braddon.
- Deeks Bakery and Cafe – Dickson Place, Dickson and Hodgson Crescent, Pearce shops, Pearce. Whole-foods, 100% gluten-free with vegetarian and grain-free options
- Double Shot Cafe – 7/18 Duff Place, Deakin. Whole-foods menu with plenty of gluten-free, dairy-free and vegetarian options
- Eighty Twenty Food – 1/18 Lonsdale Street, Braddon. Whole-foods with gluten-free and vegetarian options
- Elemental Cafe – 54/30 Lonsdale Street, Braddon. Paleo cafe using locally sourced ingredients. 100% gluten-free with vegetarian options
- Food Coop Cafe – 3 Kingsley Street Canberra City. Organic, Vegan and usually gluten-free whole-foods with organic food coop
- Local Press – 81 Giles Street Kingston. Whole-foods with gluten-free, dairy-free, and refined-sugar free options. They also now sell locally made whole-food raw treats from fuel well.
- Maple + Clove – Realm Park, 7 Burbury Close, Barton. Whole-foods, gluten-free and vegetarian options, refined-sugar free
- Mocan and Green Grout – 1/19 Marcus Clarke Street, New action South, Canberra. Seasonal Whole-foods made from locally and sustainably produce, these guys even have a compostable kitchen waste system which feeds into the neighbourhood’s community garden.
- Mountain Creek Whole-foods – 14 Barker Street, Griffith. Organic, vegetarian with lots of gluten-free and dairy-free options. They also have an organic supermarket.
- Mrs Sackville – 21 Eastlake Parade Kingston. Organic, locally sourced whole-foods
- My Rainbow Dreams cafe – Dickson Place, Dickson. Vegetarian whole-foods with gluten-free options
- Paleo Perfection – 121/2 Trevillian Quay, Kingston. 100% Paleo friendly cafe which means lots of organic ingredients and 100% free from gluten, grains, peanuts, soy, refined sugar and artificial sweeteners. Selling snacks and beverages
- Quizine – 17 Botany Street Phillip. Whole-foods – fast-food style with vegetarian and gluten-free options
- Red Brick Espresso – Shop 4/35 Curtin place, Curtin shops, Curtin. Locally roasted coffee and locally sourced whole-foods
- Sweet Bones Bakery – 8/18 Londsdale Street, entry via Eloura Street. Organic, vegan whole-foods with gluten-free and raw food options available
- Thr1ve – Canberra Centre (opposite Supabarn), Bunda Street, Canberra City. Paleo friendly, with locally and ethically sourced ingredients which are always gluten-free with no added sugar
- Vspot Cafe -Crnr City walk & Petrie Plaza, Canberra City. Vegetarian/vegan whole-foods – Gluten-free and raw food options available
- A.Baker – New Acton Pavilion unit 2, 15 Edindburgh Avenue Canberra. Seasonal whole-foods made from local produce, as the name suggests they bake their own bread on site. Gluten-free and vegetarian options available.
- Elk and Pea – 21 Lonsdale Street, Braddon. Whole-foods with some organic options, and lots of gluten-free and vegetarian options
- Ginger Catering – Village Centre, National Arboretum Canberra. Whole-foods produced using seasonal, local and sustainably grown produce. Some organic produce with plenty of gluten-free and vegetarian options
- Sage – Gorman house Arts Centre, Batman Street, Braddon. Whole-foods predominantly sourced from the Sage Farm which grows organic, sustainable produce. Gluten-free and vegetarian options.
- The Ridge organic restaurant – Farrer Shops, Farrer Place, Farrer. Organic, whole-food restaurant where the entire menu is gluten-free with the exception of “regular” bread that is available. Lots of vegetarian options.
- Naked Treaties Cafe – 2/3 Marvell Street, Byron Bay. 100% raw, organic, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free and refined sugar-free.
- Grazing – The Royal Hotel, Corner Cork and Harp Streets, Gundaroo. Fresh, local, sustainably sourced produce. Lots of vegetarian and gluten-free options
- Capital Wines cellar door – The Royal Hotel, 42 Cork Street, Gundaroo. Fresh, local ingredients including produce picked from the kitchen garden out the back.
- Pilgrims Wholefoods – Shops 4, 5 ,5, 57 Owen Street, Huskisson. Vegetarian Whole-foods cafe with gluten-free options.
- Pilgrims Wholefoods – Shops 8 & 9, The Settlement, Princes Hwy Milton, NSW. Vegetarian Whole-foods cafe with gluten-free options.
- Moruya Health Cafe -11 Church Street, Moruya. Whole-food cafe with vegetarian and gluten-free options.
- Goodnessme Organics – 617-621 Glebe Road, Adamstown. Organic whole-foods catering to vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free.
- Momo Whole-food Cafe – 10 Williams Street, East Maitland. Organic Whole-food cafe with gluten-free and vegetarian options.
- Raw Cafe – 33 Hunter Street, Newcastle. Raw menu catering for vegetarian, gluten-free, and paelo.
- About life – 605 Darling Street, Rozelle. 31-37 Oxford Street, Bondi Junction. 520 Miller Street, Cammeray. 1 Kiaora Lane, Double Bay. 285a Crown Street, Surry Hills. Each of these stores has a natural grocery store plus a whole-foods cafe with lots of organic, gluten-free and vegetarian options.
- Henley’s Whole-foods – 9/310-330 Oxford Street, Bondi and 38 Mitchell Road, Alexandria. Paleo friendly, with their whole menu sourced locally and sustainably which means it is chemical free. Grain and gluten-free with lots of vegetarian options.
- Paleo Cafe – shop 5, 310-330 Oxford Street, Bondi Junction. Paleo menu which means often organic, wholefoods, grain-free, refined sugar-free
- Real Food Connection – 2 Sterling Circuit, Camperdown. Paleo friendly, 100% grain, gluten and processed foods-free.
- Sadhana Kitchen – 147 Enmore Road, Enmore. Organic whole-foods and raw foods. They even have a raw, vegan, gluten-free high tea!
- Thr1ve – MLC Centre, Shop 28, Level 6 19-29 Martin place Sydney and Shop 5005, Westfield Pitt Street, Corner Pitt St Mall & Market Street, Sydney. Paleo friendly, with locally and ethically sourced ingredients which are always gluten-free with no added sugar
- Ungaro Raw – 656 Darling Street, Rozelle. Raw, organic, food all refined sugar-free. A big selection of nut-free, dairy-free, gluten-free and vegetarian/vegan options.
- Pilgrims Wholefoods – 97 Gerrale St, Cronulla. Vegetarian Whole-foods cafe with gluten-free options.
- Wild Fig Whole-food Cafe – 2 Commerce Street, Taree. Whole-foods with organic and free-range animal products used where possible, lots of gluten-free, refined sugar-free, dairy-free, vegetarian and vegan options.
- Thr1ve – Emporium Shopping Centre, Shop 3-026, 287 Londsdale Street, Melbourne. Paleo friendly, with locally and ethically sourced ingredients which are always gluten-free with no added sugar
- Yong Green Food – 421-423 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy. Predominantly organic vegetarian food using eco-friendly principles. They have an extensive Gluten Free and raw food menu.
- Monk Bodhi Darma Specialty Coffee and Roastery – 202 Carlisle Street, Balaclava. Predominantly organic, vegan/vegetarian free with lots of gluten and sugar-free options.
- Admiral Cheng-Ho – 325 Johston Street, Abbotsford. Seasonal whole-food menu using mostly organic and locally sourced produce, predominantly gluten-free and vegan.
- Vegie Bar – 380 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy. Whole-foods specialising in vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free and raw food.
- Kinfolk Cafe -673 Bourke Street, Melbourne. These guys are more than a cafe, they are a social enterprise who give away 100% of their profits to charity. Their food is seasonal, sourced locally and, where possible, biodynamic, organic, and fair-trade.
- Green Cup – 593 Chapel Street, South Yarra. Selling green smoothies, superfood smoothies, acai bowls, and superfood snacks. Vegetarian and and gluten-free options available.
- Thr1ve – Shop 9, 215-221 Adelaide Street, Brisbane. Paleo friendly, with locally and ethically sourced ingredients which are always gluten-free with no added sugar.
- Kunara Organic Cafe – 31/77 Hudson Road, Albion. 95% organic and gluten-free whole-foods.
- BSKT – 4 Lavarack Road, Mermaid Beach. Organic, gluten-free whole-foods with plenty of vegetarian and vegan options.
- The Shack Superfood Cafe – 2221 Gold Coast Highway, Nobby Beach. Whole-foods which are predominantly all made on site, all gluten-free and refined-sugar free.
- Mandala Organic Arts Cafe – 4/2558 Gold Coast Highway, Mermaid Beach. Whole-foods with the priority on vegan, organic and locally sourced foods. The cafe has an established permaculture garden with fruit, vegetables, herbs, and Australian bush foods.
- Greenhouse Factory Restaurant and Bar – 1/74 Musgrave Street, Coolangatta. Vegetarian and Vegan raw whole-foods with lots of gluten-free options.
- Kunara Organic Cafe – 330 Mons Road, Forest Glen. 95% organic and gluten-free whole-foods.
- The Velo Project – 19 Careela Street, Mooloolaba. Fresh whole-foods with plenty of gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan and vegetarian options.
- Ground Organics – 7/11 Mooloolaba Esplanade, Mooloolaba. Locally sourced, seasonal whole-foods with plenty of organic, gluten-free and vegetarian options.
- Red Lime Shack – 158 St Vincent Street, Port Adelaide. Seasonal, locally sourced whole-foods, 100% vegan and dairy-free with plenty of gluten-free options.
- Enliven Holistic Health Cafe – 467A Brighton Road, Brighton. Organic cafe with gluten-free, vegetarian, raw food options.
- Bliss Organic Garden Cafe – 7 Compton Street, Adelaide. Organic, vegan, locally sourced and seasonal food with plenty of gluten-free, and raw food options.
- The Raw Kitchen – 181A High Street, Fremantle. Raw, seasonal, plant-based whole-foods. The menu is 100% gluten-free, diary-free and refined sugar-free.
- Mana Whole-foods – 274 South Terrace, South Fremantle. Most of the food is made on the premises and is vegetarian/vegan, with organic, gluten-free and raw foods available.
- The organic Circle – shop 1, Pioneer Village, 7 Albany Highway, Armadale. Organic, vegan/vegetarian cafe with lots of gluten-free and raw options. They are also have a microwave-free kitchen.
- Swan Valley Cafe -990 Great Northern Hwy, Millendon. Vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, raw menu with meals made daily from locally sourced seasonal produce.
- Health Freak Cafe – 3 locations – Corner Alvan Street & Railway Road, Subiaco. 148, The Esplanade, Scarborough. Corner Reid Prom & The Boulevard, Joondalup. Everything is gluten-free and refined sugar-free, with lots of vegetarian options.
- Soul Tree Cafe – Shop 6, 3-5 Railway Parade, Glen Forrest. Wholefood cafe, lots of vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, paleo and raw food options.
- Samudra – 226 Naturaliste Terrace, Dunsborough. Raw vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free menu with dairy-free options. Ingredients are seasonal and sourced locally including from the biodynamic kitchen garden on site.
- Alchemy Cafe -640 Forth Road, Forth. Mostly organic, 100% gluten-free with lots of vegetarian and raw food options.
- Little Bird Organics Unbakery – 3 locations – 385 New North Rd, Kingsland. Corner Summer Street & Ponsonby Road, Ponsonby. 14 Customs Street East, Auckland Central. The menu is mostly raw, organic, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, and without refined cane sugars or soy.
- Raw Planet Juice & Raw Food Bar – Shop 2, 3 McLean St, across the road from the sea at Paraparaumu Beach, Kapiti Coast. Fresh organic juices, smoothies, superfoods, raw vegan pizza, organic real fruit ice-cream & raw sugar-free, dairy-free, gluten-free cakes & treats.
- Revive Cafe – 2 locations – 24 Wyndeham Street, and 33 Lorne Street, Auckland. Vegetarian, whole-food cafe with lots of vegan and gluten-free options.
United States of America
- Mission : Heirloom garden cafe – 2085 Vine Street, berkeley. Whole menu contains is organic and non-GMO, plus free of processed refined oils, sugars, gluten, grain, legumes. In addition, their kitchen is plastic and aluminum free to avoid adding any extra toxins into your meal.
- Brodo -1st Avenue at 12th Street NYC. A cafe specialising in bone broth. They sell whole-food bone broths and soup, all gluten-free, all sugar-free, all dairy-free. They have a vegetarian soup which can be made vegan and/or gluten-free on request.
- Hu Kitchen – 78 5th Avenue, New York. Huge selection of organic, non-GMO foods, non-processed foods. Entire menu is gluten-free, and dairy and grain-free unless noted on the menu. They season with sea salt and pepper and cook with olive and coconut oils only. Plenty of vegetarian options available.
- 3 Measures Vegetarian Cafe – 15 Broadway, Bangor. Bakery and cafe, where breads, cakes and pastries are baked on the premises using unrefined ingredients. That means no refined grains or sugars.